Muslims forced to migrate in Naya bans

Muslims of Naya Bans in Bulandshahr district still live gripped by the fear. The hunting and torturing continue even one year after the Bulandshahr violence. The attacks strengthened after the ultra-nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) returned to power and Narendra Modi is all set to become Prime Minister of India for the second consecutive term. At this juncture, where no longer these polarized two communities can live together happily with peace and harmony in the village, Muslims are thinking to leave the area where they were born, grew up and have gained their assets to escape from their attacks. Most of them are shifting to Dasna and Masuri, where they stay paying rent or with their relatives. On the day of result declaration, when the poll result announced, Muslims were irritated while offering prayers at the mosque. More than 250 people marched to Masjid and started bursting firecrackers outside the main gate. later the crowd went to each Muslim houses, started playing DJ music in loud volume and continued for an hour. The hope lost Muslim community has no way other than the migration. But the poor and less-earning Muslims are at risk, they can't migrate to somewhere else due to lack of enough money in their pockets. One of the villagers responded when he asked about forced migration "It depends on their financial condition. Dozens of families have migrated to different cities, but we cannot do this because we do not have money or savings. Yes, if one can give us money for some time, we are ready to shift immediately and will return the money after some time. We want to sell our house, but who will buy?" Muslims freedom of speech, freedom of religion and liberty has completely lost in the village. They are frightened by the Hindutva against raising voice publicly. A villager alleged that he has been threatened by the district administration that he will be charged under the National Security Act (NSA) if he raises any issue from the village before the media. He told NewsClick, "A team of journalists from Reuters had come to our village a few days back to understand the situation after the last year’s incident. I told them what I felt. The very next day, several police officers and the SDM [Sub Divisional Magistrate] came to me and threatened to book me under NSA if I ever discuss anything about the village with anyone. I apologised to them even though I had not lied. Now, I am feeling literally terrorised. We have now decided not to speak up no matter what."

Other Informations
Source of information News Report Place of incident Private Residence
Number of victims 400 Identity of victim Muslims
Location of incident Private Residence Was cross FIR filed 0
perpetrator Organizational Right Wing Hindutva Details of the FIR

Investigating agency Victim's lawyer
Role of police Unsatisfactory Current status
Charges Filed Other details
judgement Reference other information
Civil society reports

User Pic
Main Information
Date of incident: May 29, 2019
Nature of Violence
  • Attack on religious infrastructure/Festivals/worship
  • Denial of access to public spaces/institutions
  • Causal factors
  • Religious identity
  • Name of the victim : Muslim community
    Name of Perpetrator Hindutva
    State Uttar Pradesh
    District/City Bulandshahr
    Party In Power / Incidents BJP - Bharatiya Janata Party
    Media link